We salute U.S. military and veterans for their service, and we're proud of our employees who have served in the armed forces. We're committed to hiring and retaining military veterans, veterans with disabilities and active military personnel; and we provide resources and career guidance when they return to work after active duty. SoCalGas is proud to partner with organizations dedicated to ending homelessness in our communities.
Some of the Organizations We Support
- Veterans Advocacy Group of American, Inc.: Our partnership helped veterans find career jobs and allowed them to attend soft skill training classes. The Summer Slam program held classes to help veterans prepare for transition back to civilian life, keeping a job and financial awareness. The program also helped spouses and children of veterans with tools and resources to foster stronger families, especially resources for children to stay in school.
- Foundation for Women Warriors: Our partnership provided women veterans with housing, childcare, employment training and education. Crucial support to their Warrior and Housing Assistance program that bridged housing or a safety net when unforeseen events place women veterans and their children at risk for falling back into homelessness. Our grant also provided assistance in security deposits, rent, job transition and car registration.
- United Way of Greater Los Angeles: SoCalGas employees assembled Welcome Home kits at its Pico Rivera base for people transitioning out of homelessness and learned more about what it is like to be homeless through virtual reality and role-play activities at an Everyone In™ event. Led by United Way of Greater Los Angeles (United Way), the event was the first of its kind to be held at a workplace location. Everyone In™ is a coalition that focuses on ending homelessness across Los Angeles County by providing critical services to those who need it most and helping transition people experiencing long-term homelessness with short-term and permanent housing solutions.
- Los Angeles Family Housing: Our partnership assisted in providing permanent housing and supportive services to the many thousands of homeless families and single adults. Clients received meals, social services, mental and physical health care, educational services to children, family therapy, domestic violence counseling, substance abuse, and recovery treatment. In addition, our partnership provided housing stabilization, move-in assistance, regular check-ins, landlord communication and community connection for resources. More than 40 employees on Team SoCalGas also assembled Thanksgiving bags and made companion animal fleece blankets to help people experiencing homelessness have an enjoyable and festive holiday.
- Union Station Foundation: SoCalGas supported their Homeless Family Services, which serves their family services program. It provides onsite three meals, supportive services and beds to about 200 family members and to their permanent housing facilities, which houses about 45 families. Most clients are women and children. The overall program assisted adults and children rebuild their lives and end homelessness permanently.
- Service to the Armed Forces and Veterans (SAFV): Through the American Red Cross – Greater Los Angeles, SoCalGas employees assembled and distributed more than 400 hygiene kits for veterans housed at CalVet and other residents at the Westside VA Medical Centers. Our grant also provided necessary services and resources at their annual Stand Down programs.
- “20/20/20” Campaign: The grants were part of a giving campaign in honor of Sempra Energy’s 20th anniversary – the “20/20/20” campaign – in which employees were challenged to collectively engage in at least 20,000 volunteer hours in their communities. In recognition of employee volunteerism, the company committed to issuing $20,000 grants to 20 organizations supporting the battle against homelessness. In SoCalGas’ service territory, grants were given to Affordable Living for the Aging, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County, HomeAid Orange County, LA Family Housing, the Riverside County Workforce Development Center, The Salvation Army of San Bernardino and United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
Our Veteran Workforce
Veterans represent about five percent of our workforce, and we continue to hire veterans in accounting and finance, field operations, information technology, project management, engineering and engineering support and business operations. For more information, see our Careers section.
We take part in a number of outreach events, career fairs and training opportunities. The core values of those who serve in the military — integrity, leadership, teamwork, commitment – are in line with our company's values.
In Our Community
Learn about the other ways we are helping energize our community.
Learn about our commitment to hiring and retaining military veterans and active personnel.